Buckhead Handwriting provides handwriting readiness skills, formal instruction, evaluation and remediation to children ages 4-10. We use multisensory activities to make learning fun! We sing, play games, and work with manipulatives - all while learning handwriting! All services are planned and delivered by a HWT Certified Handwriting Specialist. Tutoring sessions are held in my residence near Chastain Park in North Buckhead, unless otherwise noted in service description. Tutoring can also occur during your child's school day, at the school, if permitted by the school.
- A handwriting assessment is a prerequisite for private tutoring. Students will be evaluated using one of the assessment methods listed below.
- Appropriate for grades Pre-K through 5.
- Includes formal handwriting instruction, fine and gross motor activities to support handwriting muscles, and weekly take-home activities.
- $75/hour for students in grades K-5.
- $55 for a 45-minute session for Pre-K students.
- All private tutoring clients receive a Buckhead Handwriting tote bag, grade-appropriate Handwriting Without Tears Student Workbook, and a student binder filled with supplies including "small tools" (pencils, crayons, sharpeners), Parent Resources (letter formation charts, activity instructions, fine motor practice, etc.), and a Homework Chart. These supplies support your child's continued learning between tutoring sessions and better equip you, as the parent, to help them at home. There is a $20 fee, charged at your first session, for these supplies.
- Students who present with fine motor issues may purchase a Buckhead Handwriting Fine Motor Kit to support development of their handwriting skills. Cost for this kit is $45 and will be discussed with you prior to your first session.
1) The Print Tool Handwriting Evaluation
- Prerequisite to private tutoring for printing issues.
- $125 fee, which includes a 45-minute evaluation session that covers parent interview, review of school papers/written assignments, assessment of pencil grip, writing posture and paper placement, and administration of The Print Tool, HWT's formal printing assessment covering the eight components of handwriting: memory, orientation, placement, size, start, sequence, control, spacing. Also included is a written Evaluation Report, and a follow-up administration of The Print Tool during child's final paid tutoring session.
- Appropriate for grades K through 5. Sessions may be conducted at child's school.
2) Cursive Assessment
- Prerequisite to private tutoring for cursive issues.
- $75 fee when administered on its own. Includes a 30-minute evaluation session that covers parent interview, review of school papers/written assignments, assessment of pencil grip, and writing posture and paper placement. Also included is a brief, written Evaluation Report, and a follow-up administration of the Cursive Assessment during the child's final paid tutoring session. If Cursive Assessment is included along with The Print Tool evaluation, there is no additional charge.
- Appropriate for grades 2 and higher. Sessions may be conducted at child's school.
3) Kindergarten Readiness Assessment
- Prerequisite to private tutoring for Pre-K students.
- $75 fee, which includes a 30-minute evaluation session covering the following readiness components: knowledge of colors, maturity of crayon grip and ability to color in lines, physical concerns (paper placement, etc.), ability to trace and form shapes, body awareness, knowledge of and ability to form capital letters, knowledge of and ability to form numbers 1-10, ability to write name in capitals and/or title case. Also included is a brief, written Evaluation Report.
- Appropriate for students in Pre-K. Sessions may be conducted at child's school.